I am a freelance web developer based in Manchester, UK. As a long term PHP developer, around 3 years ago I found Python and Django, and have not looked back since. Whilst I still undertake a variety of projects — including some old ASP/VBscript support work — the majority of my workload involves Python & Django.
- 12+ years commercial development experience
- 5 years as a freelancer/contractor
- Object oriented PHP developer
- 3+ years Python/Django development
- Version control: primarily mercurial, but also SVN and git
- Experience developing multi-lingual websites using i18n and l10n, gettext
- IP Geolocation Maxmind for both PHP and Django. And using Google services to Geocode user's address information
- Service development and interaction using SOAP, XML-RPC and REST
- Test Driven Development using Selenium/Nose/PHPUnit/Jenkins
- Linux server admin - including building cloud servers from scratch; securing and maintaining servers
- Apache and Nginx, MySQL and Postgresql, mod_wsgi/uwsgi, mod_security
- Deployment with fabric, mercurial and virtualenvs and virtualevnwrapper
- Social development - connecting with facebook and twitter using oAUTH2, automatically tweeting/posting to a users wall, retreiving feeds etc.
- Good understanding of SEO & SEM practices and building sites that are optimised - SEF urls, canonical tags to manage duplicate content, maintaining a low code-content ratio. no-follow links.
- Optimisation techniques - memcached, compressing JS & CSS, using CDNs or serving static content over NGINX
- eCommerce PCI/DSS compliance
- Integration with countless payment gateways - 2co, Google Checkout, Paypal, Sagepay, Paypoint, Barclays ePDQ, etc. as well as direct 3DSecure and 3rd Man Fraud Screening integrations
- Commercial Magento experience including module and theme development
- Experience working with load balanced webservers, CDNs and replicated databases
- Experience managing projects and coordinating developers and other key stakeholders
- VIM and BBedit user
- Basic Adobe Photoshop skills (enough to slice and work with PSDs)
- Prior programming experience in C/C++ for DOS and Windows, ASP/VBScript & JScript and Perl/CGI, and MS SQL
Over the years I have worked on numerous projects from small brochure sites, to corporate intranets, and multi-national/multi-lingual e-commerce solutions.
Some of the brands/companies I have been involved with include: Durex, Scholl Flightsocks, Bensons For Beds, Novartis, ghd and Nescafe.
Here's a slide show of some of the websites I have worked on to varying degrees, over the past two years. Please get in touch if you would like a more detailed overview of my work experience.